Thursday, July 1, 2010

Evening Breakdown

I just got done tracking all of yesterday's food (okay, not ALL all, I forgot the marshmallows...ooops!) and I was doing SOOO good...until after dinner. I stayed up, folding laundry & watching a movie and you'd THINK that would keep me occupied enough that I WOULDN'T feel the need to stuff my dace but you'd be wrong. It started out innocently enough, just a couple mini laffy taffys (banana even-FRUIT!) and a tiny box of nerds (I <3 nerds in a MAJOR way-when I was pregnant with Kate I ate them ALL THE TIME, Mark complained about finding them in bed). Then I saw that a serving size of the laffy taffys was 5 and I'd only had 2, so why not 2 more?!? And then the chocolate ice cream I had bought last week when I was watching all the children in the universe began calling my name (the marshmallows too, CURSE YOU MARSHMALLOWS!!!). Well, one serving of THAT is 1/2 cup and it is 140 calories. Not TOO bad, considering. I knew I was WELL under my calories for the day because I put in a KILLER workout in the morning (my arms & upper back are reminding me how killer it was as I type) so I felt okay in that regard. The problem is the CARBS. WHY must I eat sooo many useless carbs late at night? (not really THAT late I guess, I was done eating around 9-ish, but still-too late I know) I don't want to beat myself up over this, it is just hard not to. It seems to be my biggest stumbling block. The one thing I continue slamming into over & over & over. I really want to figure out a way to get past this. I want to come up with & stick to a plan that will satisfy my evening cravings but not undo my whole day.
Any ideas, tips, tricks? What works for you? Anyone else in the same boat? How do YOU move forward after a late night eating frenzy?
I'm off to the gym now, here's to a no carb-craze night!
P.S. Stay tuned for the goals to be set. I'm working on them now!

3 comments:

Marian and Sadie said...

When i'm home for dinner I stop eating after 6:00 p.m and that has always helped me maintain my weigh. If I start to feeling hungry after six I drink a tall glass of water. I also have a rule called " A Salad a Day".

I haven't been working out at all since the school semester ended (so much for my rock hard abs). I need your help and motivation to get my butt in the gym.

Olivia said...

Have you been working out? It seems the only thing to curb my late night carb craving...that and reading instead of watching TV. Or, how about a 2nd workout in the evening, even just a brisk walk around the block, 25 push-ups, etc.

Maggie said...

@Marian~I have off & on had the goal to not eat after 7 p.m. but I get relaxed about it when I know I'll be staying up later. I think it is time to get strict about it! As for the glass of water I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
@Olivia~I HAVE been working out. I'm off to the gym soon as a matter of fact! And last night was SOOO much better. I started wanting ice cream so instead I had a protein shake. Chocolate protein powder & skim milk, YUM! I did eat a tiny box of nerds too but, thankfully, they didn't push me over the edge & I was able to stop with just one!