Saturday, January 14, 2012

Remember that "full disclosure" I was talking about?

Well, here goes.
When I decided to REALLY get serious about getting healthy & fit after K was born 2.5 years ago I went to see a doctor. I talked about what I'd been doing up to that point (eating under 1800cal/day, working out 6 times a week) and the fact that in 3 months of doing that I'd only lost TWO pounds. We talked about different options I had for getting the weight off. One was to continue what I was doing for another 6 months, reevaluate where I was at and then sign me up for the lap band weight loss surgery. Another was to get a prescription for Phentermine, a prescription diet aid. I chose the second option.
In the first month of being on the Phentermine I went down 18 pounds. In the second I went down 13. Over 6 months I went from 240lbs to 180lbs. I went from a size 22 pants to a size 14 pants. I went from exercising so I could eat more to eating to live & exercising because it made me feel good.
And while I didn't keep it a secret I also didn't tell many people about the Phentermine. I wasn't embarrassed. I wasn't ashamed. I was afraid. I was worried that people would look at my using Phentermine as "cheating" or that I was too lazy to do the work of getting fit on my own. I didn't want people to look at me like a druggie either.
Anyway, I took Phentermine and I was happy with the results. I was so happy with the results that if I experience a similar difficulty in getting my weight down & reaching my fitness goals this time around I will be making an appointment with my doctor to explore the option of going back on the Phentermine.
So there you have it, full disclosure.

1 comment:

Carrie O'Connor said...

Nice blog. I went for lap-band orientation and was scheduled to see a surgeon. I blogged about that: http://tinyurl.com/78mn6dl

Wishing you health for the New Year,

Carrie