Monday, January 3, 2011

10% in 10 weeks

Okay, so its been awhile. And while I haven't gone completely off the deep end & gained all the weight back I've DEFINITELY had an interesting holiday season. Let's just say that it started with Halloween & is thankfully now coming to an end!
Due to various events & circumstances my wager with my sister has been put on hold (read: canceled because I suck). I'm still confident that one day I will be the same weight/size as her. I just know that now is NOT that time!
Which leads me to the 10% in 10 weeks thing. Over the course of our 6 year marriage Mark & I have both gotten a little far from who were were when we got married. I'd like to think that although I'm not quite to where I ultimately want to be I'm absolutely in the best shape of my life. I may have (and did) weigh less than when we got married but I know that right now I'm stronger & more fit so I FEEL better now. And Mark has gone from a 22/23 year old kid to a 28almost29 year old man. Where he used to be active in a few different ways now he has a job that has him basically chained to a desk for 40+ hours a week & the weekends are not the physical family adventures I hope they will some day be! And he snores WAY more than he ever did in the past, to the point that I am getting concerned.
A while ago I was doing some online research into natural ways to lessen or stop snoring altogether & I read a little article that said that losing just 10% of your body weight can reduce snoring. SOOOO I got the brilliant idea that I would have a little contest with Mark. Beginning today & ending on March 12th we will see which of us can lose 10% of our body weight (or more, that's allowed too!) first. We'll each come up with our own
"prize" and the winner will be rewarded in the manner they choose.
For me I have the lovely pleasure of getting to lose 19 pounds. I am so embarrassed that I am back up to 190 lbs after all the work I put into NOT being 190 lbs but this feels like a good chance to make some changes. Mark didn't weigh in (or at least didn't TELL me what the scale said) but I know that his 10% is somewhere around 20/21 pounds. Again, embarrassment abounds for me, I have TWICE that to lose to reach "normal" on the BMI scale & Mark is 6'2". I feel really cool right now.
Anyway, we're off & running (me literally! I already ran a mile this morning!) and I'll be checking in with updates as the weeks pass. My main goal in all of this is to create a healthier, more physical lifestyle for my entire family & I know that starts with Mark & me.
And just because it's fun, here's a picture of Mark & me on our wedding day!

No comments: