Saturday, February 27, 2010

Update

Yesterday I went to the gym to get some cardio in. I didn't get my regular workout in at boot camp because our instructor, Robin, was sick & she asked me if I'd be willing to lead. I had expressed to her my interest in being a boot camp instructor at some point in the future & since I didn't want boot camp to be canceled I agreed. Anyway, leading is hard in a MUCH different way than actually doing the workout!
Since I felt like I had plenty of energy to use I decided to see how far I could get in my goal of running 3 miles non stop. I had to use of the treadmills that I don't like very much because all the "good" ones were taken. I thought this might make things harder for me but I persisted. I started out a little harder than I intended and pretty soon felt like I wouldn't be able to go much longer (I hadn't even gone a half mile yet) so I slowed my pace and continued on. One of the tv's nearby caught my attention and I watched the show that was on. The next time I looked at the display on the treadmill I was surprised to see that I had gone just over a mile in just under 14 minutes. I felt REALLY good about that! Pretty soon I was feeling like I could maybe, just maybe reach my 3 mile goal THAT DAY! I was thinking how good and strong my body felt. I turned my attention back to the tv, thinking the distraction would assist in some way. It wasn't long before I realized that I was getting REALLY hot. I was still wearing what I'd worn to boot camp & let me tell you. There is a HUGE difference in the temperature of a parking lot at 5:30 in the morning and an indoor gym at 10 in the morning! I looked at the display on the treadmill and saw that I had gone 1.77 miles. I was still really hot but I knew I could at least get to 2 miles if I could cool off a little bit. Since I had a cami on under my t-shirt I decided to take my t-shirt off. I am usually WAY too self-conscious to do that but I was HOT! I immediately felt better and was able to reach 2 miles. I was only a couple minutes from reaching the 30 minute mark so I continued until I did. At that point I had reached exhaustion and I decided that was good for the day. I slowed to a walk and cooled off for a couple minutes. When I stepped off the treadmill I was proud of myself and my legs DIDN'T feel like jell-o! I was impressed with how far I had come in just a few months. I now know that I will be able to reach and probably surpass my goal of running 3 miles non stop VERY soon! Seriously, so proud of myself!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Good job

by...K@ Ashcroft said...

That is SOOOO great!!!! I am so proud of Maggie!

Valerie said...

Maggie- you are awesome! I'm glad you're doing this. You're an inspiration to me and hopefully one of these days I'll ge motivated enough to get myself in gear too.

Marian and Sadie said...

Your treadmill post made me smile. I love to see women pushing themselves and achieving something they thought was behind their limits. Keep up the good work! We are looking forward to seeing pictures of you walking on at Hawaii beach someday.