Friday, February 5, 2010

"That girl is motivated"

That is what I overheard another boot camper say about me the other morning. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was at least THINKING it this morning. Not because I am such a machine that I inspire awe and jealousy in those I work out with but because I really WAS motivated this morning!
I had a really hard time falling asleep last night. The combination of too much to do & too much caffeine & my mind was full of to do lists & random, unrelated thoughts. I felt like I would never fall asleep. But sleep I did...until Mark's phone rang this morning. When he is on call for work I usually only wake up a little when his phone rings and then fall right back to sleep, usually before he's left our room to go to his computer. This time I had to pee so I got up and went to the bathroom. As I climbed back in bed I wondered what time it was. I almost didn't check my phone but then I did, 4:36 a.m. I knew my alarm would be going off in 9 minutes so I turned over, closed my eyes and told myself that I was getting up NO MATTER WHAT!
My alarm went off (louder than expected, had the ringer still turned up from being out yesterday, oops!) and I pretty much jumped out of bed after turning it off. After brushing my teeth, throwing my hair in a ponytail & putting on my workout clothes I was out the door about 5 minutes later. I got to the park a little more than 10 minutes early & decided to set up my stuff & then run the park until time to begin boot camp.
When we got started Robin (our instructor) described out workout. Three sets of 4 different exercises. 25 reps of the first exercise, 50 of the second, 75 of the third & 100 of the fourth and then repeat...two more times. While I'd been running the park I had my iPod on & I kept it on as I began my first set. I felt so strong & capable. I pumped out 25 REAL push ups (no "lady" push ups are allowed after your first 4 weeks!) in no time it seemed and I was on to the 50 squats. This one almost got me! I have a hip that "pops" out of place occasionally & yesterday was one of those occasions. It hadn't gotten fully back in place & the squats were more difficult than I expected. I got through them though & moved on to the next exercise; 75 sit ups. Ever since discovering that if I hold my weights in my hands I can do a full sit up I have LOVED doing sit ups. I feel so fit & strong when I finish a full 75 sit ups! I move on to the final exercise; 100 jumping jacks. Straight arms, hands touching at the top. Just like in PE class.
By the time I was most of the way through my third set my earbuds were constantly falling out & I decided to finish without my music. We were a little more than halfway through our hour long workout & I felt confident in finishing whatever the rest of the morning held. I was suddenly "trudging" my way through exercises that had been relatively easy not long before. When I got to the fourth exercise of the second grouping of exercises I decided to put my iPod back on. I got it set to a song I like (the radio edit version of "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake-SOOO FUN!) and I hurried through 100 step ups. Imagine stepping up with both feet onto a park bench & then back down to the sidewalk. That's one. Now imagine doing 100 of those. Okay. I went back to my mat & started on my second set of exercises. As Robin called out the time (less than 10 minutes left at this point) I realized I wouldn't make it through 3 whole sets but that if I moved quickly I could finish my second set before time was up. I kept my earbuds in & moved along. I finished out my second set by doing 100 mountain climbers rather than step ups and time was up! I had finished my second set & I was SO proud of myself. I knew that I had accomplished something that I would've never attempted just a few months ago & I felt powerful. I felt strong. I felt FIT!
I love music. I love how no matter what the situation there is a song that fits. That no matter what I am feeling there is music to accompany my mood. I love that having music with me I am able to do & accomplish things I wouldn't otherwise think possible. I love music, it's a GREAT motivator!

No comments: