Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tabata Training

If you've ever heard of interval training (and let's be real, EVERYONE has heard of interval training!) you may be surprised to hear about Tabata Training or the Tabata Method. Named after a Japanese researcher named Izumi Tabata it was developed in 1996 at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. In plain English, it's a majorly INTENSE interval workout.
You begin by going crazy and deciding to give the method a shot. Then you find someone equally crazy or a Tabata Timer (they sell them online, I'm not kidding). You set said timer or charge your partner with timing you while you do a certain exercise (the consensus of the internet is doing large muscle group exercises is best, for example squats & "burpees" also known as squat thrusts) for 20 seconds at the highest intensity possible, then rest for ten seconds then repeat...SEVEN times. You will have accomplished 4 minutes & YEARS of exhaustion. If you are a member of the Robinson Fitness Boot Camp (and Insane Asylum) you will then proceed onto the next exercise...for 56 more minutes. Or something like that.
Last Tuesday morning (after three days of sickness & one day of hanging out because it was a holiday) I went to boot camp, excited to get a great workout in. Since the first of the year Jeff (our awesome trainer & the owner of Robinson Fitness, see my link in the side bar) has been changing up our workout EVERY SINGLE DAY. I had gotten used to expecting one of a few different routines up until now & so every day since January 4th has been a surprise & a challenge. I knew last Tuesday would be no different. I severely underestimated Jeff's ability to surprise.
I honestly couldn't tell you with 100% certainty ANY of the exercises we did that day other than to say it was hard & we ran twice for 4 minutes each.   I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to walk the rest of the day. My body was still incredibly sore on FRIDAY morning when I decided to go to the gym.  I wanted to cry, puke and give up; sometimes just one thing at a time, more often all three simultaneously. I wanted to sing an entire "Hallelujah" chorus when Robin finally called time...
 ...

...

...
I wanted to do it again!

No comments: